Pune: There is a lot of criticism from the citizens for the condition of the city’s roads. Finally, the Pune Municipal Administration has taken action against the contractors. Contractors doing substandard work have been blacklisted, while seven executive engineers of the road department have been given strict instructions. A fine of Rs 15,000 each has been imposed on junior engineers and branch engineers. PMC Commissioner Vikram Kumar has taken this action.
The condition of the roads along the main road of Pune is poor. Potholes are visible on every road. Vehicles are getting damaged due to getting stuck in potholes. Punekars have had to pass through potholes in full rain. There is heavy criticism from the citizens regarding this. After continuous media reports about this, the Additional Commissioner along with Commissioner Vikram Kumar had to take to the streets to see the condition of the roads. A committee of Additional Commissioner Dr. Kunal Khemnar, City Engineer Prashant Waghmare was appointed to submit the report on the condition of the road.
17 roads of poor quality
So far 15,000 potholes have been filled in the city, yet the current condition of the roads is quite dire. The report was submitted after examining 139 roads with defective liability period under the main department through a third party organization. Of these, 17 roads are of substandard quality. Accordingly, punitive action was proposed on the contractors. A fine of only Rs 6 lakh was recovered from them, but nothing happened further. Meanwhile, City Engineer Prashant Waghmare had proposed to PMC Commissioner Vikram Kumar to investigate 17 sub-standard roads and take action against the contractors associated with it. This has been approved by the commissioner.
Blacklisted contractors and damaged roads
- Deepak Construction: Shree Control Chowk to Kalubai Temple, Dhayari
- Dhanraj Asphalt: Panchami Hotel to Rajiv Gandhi E-Learning School
- Dhanraj Asphalt: Ahilya Devi Chowk to Teen Hatti Chowk
- In. s. s. Construction: Nancy Lake Homes to Padmaja Park Road
- In. Yogesh Construction: Kedari Petrol Pump Road
- Shubham Construction: Lal Mahal Chowk to Phadke Haud
- Deokar Earthmovers: Shivaji Road Gotiram Bhaiya Chowk
- Vinod Mutha: Lohianagar, Kasevadi Road
- Ganesh Enterprises: Mahamadwadi Road Municipal School to Margosa Society
- Shree Yogesh Construction: Rajiv Gandhi Nagar North Veer Basti
- Sunshine Construction: Tadigutta Chowk to CC Road
- You. R. Facility: Sangamvadi to Tingrenagar Road
- Shreyas Construction: Uttareshwar Road Lohgaon
- Adarsh Bharat Envaro Pvt. Ltd.: Bavdhan Main Road
- Pavway Construction Pvt. Ltd.- Ganeshkhind Marg to Dhotre Path
- Pavway Construction Pvt. Ltd.: Hare Krishna Path
- Shubham Construction: Sports Complex to Mhalunge Gaonthan Road
The Pune Municipal Corporation has now taken action against the contractors working in the main departments. In the next phase, the contractors doing the work of the regional office will be blacklisted after taking action. Action has also been proposed against the officers who neglected the work despite being of substandard quality.
-Vikram Kumar, Commissioner, Pune Municipal Corporation